Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Holy Purl!

I've had a pretty busy week working on various projects. Finishing a few knitting projects, made a changing blanket (to keep inside the diaper bag I started last night), and of course a few more knitting projects along the way.

First I finished up an afghan that I had started last year as a baby blanket. It has been so long since I worked on this I don't even know where I got the pattern from (Lion Brand??). I will try to find it and share with you.


I made the changing blanket using 1/2 yard of fleece (cut in half) 1/2 yard backing fabric, and about 1/4 yard of edging fabric. I double stitched every location that fabrics met as well as double stitching along the top to hold the entire piece together. (See close up of the blanket)



I then worked on a hooded towel in a Bernat yarn I've had a few skeins of in a grey-blue color. This was done working from one corner to the opposite then using the same idea to make the hood. This pattern calls to K2, YO, K to the end. It is beautiful what this YO stitch does to the edging - LOVE IT! Just a note - this pattern also says to complete this process until one edge is 20 inches long - this took me about 120 stitches (equivalent of 117 rows) before I started to decrease.


I know how important it is for kids to haven sun protection - especially here in such a sunny state so hats were next on the list. This was pulled from another blogger's site. I made the first hat with the bow and decided to find a way to make it removable while still not flopping all over the hat so I have not made the bows for the other two hats. The bow pattern was a bit confusing for me so here's how I made it:
Cast on 12 sts
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: K1, YO, knit until there is 1 stitch left, YO, K1
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: K1, YO, knit until there is 1 stitch left, YO, K1
Knit until measures 1" (for me this meant only two more rows)
Row 5: K2tog, K until there are 2 stitches left, K2tog
Row 6: K2tog, K until there are 2 stitches left, K2tog
Bind off.
Wrap yarn around center, sewing through center of rectangle piece to secure it.


And then I decided to make a set of newborn finger-less mittens to keep from having too many scratches. Wow how easy was this pattern!!


No comments:

Post a Comment